Sea Kayaking Croatia

Sea Kayaking Croatia

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Oh the People You'll See!

       When I start to reflect on all of the experiences I had over the course of the ASK Balkans trip, my mind always wanders back to the incredible group of people that accompanied me. One thing that I've discovered over these past few years is that the people who surround you can either enhance your experiences or dampen the potential impact. This trip was no exception. I was surrounded by people who were just as eager to learn about other cultures as I was, helping to fuel my excitement and desire to figure out what secrets these three countries had.
       It wasn't until we got to our hotel in Croatia that I realized that the genuineness and kindness characteristic to our group would also be visible in the people that we interacted with in the different cities. I tend to pay more attention to the people rather than the landscape, so the first thing I noticed was how hospitable and patient the hotel receptionists were in Croatia. This attitude only continued when we met Phillip and Tin. They shared so much of their culture with us and allowed a few of us to impart some knowledge on how to be a “steady mobbin’ gangsta.” Their sense of humor and friendliness are two things that stand out to me the most. When we got to the island, the accommodating behavior only continued to become stronger and stronger, as was the case with the restaurants we visited, the stores we shopped at, and the hostels we stayed in.
And that was what became such an integral part for me on the trip. The people. I know this is completely opposite from what our ASK question was aimed toward, and it doesn't exactly answer how the landscape of the Balkans region played a role in its history and conflict. However, I feel that the feelings I experienced and the people I spoke with taught me so much more than what the museums and landscapes could ever teach me. They taught me that at the end of the day, regardless of our language or culture, we are all human, and we are all much more similar to one another than we realize. Speaking with an old man at a carpet store in Sarajevo showed me that we all want to be able to support our loved ones financially, leading the man to work every day as often as he could. Going to a bar and meeting a Bosnian boy who was celebrating his high school graduation made me realize that we all rejoice over accomplishments and want to revel in the moment. Walking around Livno at midnight with a young, adventurous boy listening to him throw out tons of juicy, maybe slightly biased information about his small town made me see that we all yearn for adventure and have a little bit of rebellion in us, but friendship is still something that we will always seek.
      It was these interactions that helped to shape my opinion on the Balkans region, and my conclusion is this: our similarities should be equally as important as our differences. It’s easy to go to another country and try to pick out the different types of food, accents, clothing, and even skin colors. However, when was the last time you went to another country and tried to connect with someone foreign on a more personal level? I’m not implying that you should take them out to dinner and ask about their entire life story. I’m not even suggesting that you have to speak directly to them. My point is that we should be able to look at people and instead of thinking about how different we are from them, try to focus on how similar we are. As a young woman in America struggling with the opinions that other people have of me, I find comfort in knowing that a 19 year old Serbian woman 5,000 miles across the world is probably struggling with the same exact thing. And has the same insecurities as I do. And the same love for music, granted it might not be the same type, but hopefully you see my point.
       This trip allowed me to immerse myself in 3 separate cultures, and while it sounds strange, in each setting, I managed to find some comfort in making it feel like it was a home for me. I can say that without a shadow of a doubt that I am not the same person that stepped onto the plane May 4th. I have a new found appreciation for the world and, more importantly, the people around me. This trip will be something that I remember for the rest of my life, and I’m so happy that the group of people I shared it with will always be a part of this incredible memory.









No comments:

Post a Comment